Beverley High School for Girls
The school was opened by East Riding County Council on 23 Sep 1908, with Miss Rossiter as its headmistress. The school was built in the grounds of Norwood House, with that building becoming a boarding house for teachers and pupils. Building work began in Oct 1907 and the costs were £13,000. The school, which had 199 pupils in 1908, included a mixed kindergarten and a junior department. Pupils were ‘fee payers’ and ‘scholarship girls’. Norwood House was converted to classrooms for the Junior Department in 1934. After the 1944 Education Act the Junior Deparmtnet was phased out and admission was wholly selective. The school was repeatedly enlarged with temporary buildings from the 1940s onwards. The old lake was filled in 1957. The school became comprehensive in 1973. In 1979 the sixth forms of the High School and Beverley Grammar School were amalgamated. From the 1970s new buildings were added and all the temporary buildings were removed by 1986. The school was granted technology college status in 1998.
Source: ‘Victoria County History East Riding, Volume VI: The Borough and Liberties of Beverley’ (Oxford University Press, 1989) and records in The Treasure House collection.
Beverley Minster Schools
The Minster National School for Boys was opened in 1848. It was built in Lurk Lane, on a site given by Thomas Denton, and supported by donations and local charities. The building was altered and enlarged over the years. After amalgamation with the Girls’ School in 1970 the school buildings were later demolished.
The Minster National School for Girls was housed in the former Graves’ school in Minster Yard North by 1861. A new school was built in 1885 next to the original room, which was then used as a parish room. A playground was provided in Highgate in 1913. After amalgamation with the Boys’ School in 1970 the school buildings were used as parish rooms.
The Minster national School for Infants was begun in Minster Moorgate in 1845 in the former National School. The school was rebuilt I 1871. It was altered and enlarged in 1914-15. In 1972 the Infant and Junior schools were amalgamated to become the Minster Church of England School. The school building was largely dempolished by the façade was retained.
The Minster National or Beckside Infants’ School in Beverley St. Nicholas’ parish was in use by 1847. The school was replaced in 1852 by a building in Flemingate. The school was closed in 1915.
Source: ‘Victoria County History East Riding, Volume VI: The Borough and Liberties of Beverley (OUP, 1989).
|Graves' Girls' School - Minster Yard North. (Now Beverley Minster Parish Hall)||"Graves's Schools :-The Rev. James Graves, formerly curate at the Minster, bequeathed upwards of £2,000 to be invested in the public funds for the education of the children of the poor. The schools were commenced in the year 1810. The number of boys taught by this charity is 80 ; the number of girls is also 80 ; they are instructed on the system of Dr. Bell in both schools." Source: "Beverley in 1835" , SDUK Penny Cyclopedia|
|The National School, Minster Moorgate||
"The National School was commenced in the year 1815 : it is supported by voluntary contributions, and it is for the instruction of boys only. The corporation subscribe £21 annually to this school. About 230 children are taught, and each child, in this school and in Graves's Schools, pays one shilling quarterly." Source: "Beverley in 1835" , SDUK Penny Cyclopedia
|Beverley St Mary's School||
Consisted of three sections, Boys, Girls and Infants, all at different sites in Beverley.
St Mary’s and St Nicholas’ later St Mary’s, for infants, was opened in Lairgate in 1838. A new building for c.150 children was erected in Lairgate in 1842, and this was enlarged in 1871 and 1899. From 1880 the school was simply called St Mary’s. In 1974 the school closed and its pupils transferred to Eden Road.
The former National school in Cross Street was bought from Graves’ trustees in 1849 and rebuilt as a National School for Boys for the St Mary’s and St Nicholas’ parishes. The school was enlarged in 1870 and 1880. From 1880 the school was simply called St Mary’s National School. In 1913 a new school was opened in Mill Lane for 350 boys. This school as extensively damaged by fire on 23 Aug 1946 and the Boys’ School was moved to Longcroft Hall. Senior pupils were transferred to Molescroft County Secondary School (Longcroft_ in 1958. In 1970 the school was amalgamated with the girls’ school as St Mary’s Church of England Junior School.
A former girls’ school in Wood Lane was revived by the vicar of Beverley St Mary’s as St Mary’s and St Nicholas’ National School for Girls c.1873. A new school was then erected in Norwood in 1875. From 1880 it was simply called St Mary’s National School. Rooms in Tiger lane were rented for additional classrooms until senior pupils were transferred to Molescroft County Secondary School (Longcroft) in 1958. In 1970 the school was amalgamated with the boys’ school as St Mary’s Church of England Junior School.
St Mary’s Church of England School was formed in 1970 and at first mixed classes were housed in the existing buildings. In 1972 all the pupils at Longcroft Hall and some from Norwood were transferred to the new school in Eden Road. The 400 place school was completed in 1975 when the classes remaining at Norwood were moved into the new school.
Source: VCHER, Vol VI: The Borough and Liberties of Beverley (OHP, 1989)
|St Nicholas National/Council/County Primary School||
An infants’ school was opened in 1880 in the mission room and school room built in Holme Church Lane, Beverley. St Nicholas Council School was built in St Nicholas Road, Beverley and opened in 1915 to replace St Nicholas’ National School and the minster school in Flemingate, Beverley.
12 Jan 1880: Grovehill Infant School. I Frances Jane Hutton opened this school this day and admitted 17 children.
17 Jun 1887: School closed for a week’s holiday in honour of the Queen’s Jubilee’
28 Feb 1890: Many children still absent with whooping cough – Numbers lessened today by the snow.
14 Jun 1893: The very poor attendance on each of the afternoons of the Race days made it impossible to keep school open.
19 Oct 1894: The average has been lowered this week through Hull Fair.
19 Oct 1894: Half on holiday on Tuesday aft. Because of the visit of Wombwell’s Menagerie to the town.
5 Nov 1895: Closed school today until Monday Nov 11th on account of fair and hirings.
22 May 1900: Day’s holiday on Monday the 21st to celebrate the Relief of Mafeking.
24 May 1900: Half Holiday for Queen’s Birthday. All schools meeting in Market Place, to join a grand procession round the town.
18 Feb 1910: The attendance this week has been very bad. About fifty cases of measles have been reported, and two cases of diphtheria.
23 Dec 1914: This school closes today for the Christmas Holidays and will not reopen.
|Wesleyan Day School/Spencer Council School||
Wesleyan Day School, Walkergate and School Lane, Beverley. Opened 1844. William Spencer was appointed Headmaster in 1848 and remained in this post until he retired in 1887. The school became a Council School in 1894 and was renamed the Spencer Council School in 1906, in his honour.
School closed 28 July 1967 and pupils transferred to Swinemoor School.
"The Blue Coat School was established by subscription in 1709. It has received some handsome donations, but its funds appear to be adequate to the maintenance, clothing, and instruction of only eight pupils. The other institutions of Beverley are a Savings' Bank, a Dispensary, a News -Room, and a Mechanics' Institute. The latter has 108 members. The borough gaol is only used for the confinement of persons committed for trial, those sentenced to simple confinement, and debtors ; prisoners sentenced to hard labour are confined in the House of Correction for the East Riding of the county, which is built within the liberties of the town." Source: "Beverley in 1835" , SDUK Penny Cyclopedia
In the first year the school had 26 boys and four girls "taught, clothed, and wholly maintained by Subscriptions of about £190 a Year, and the accidental Gifts put into a Box, set near the School Door for that purpose ".
|Boys' Grammar School||
"The Grammar School of Beverley is of great antiquity ; as far as its history can be traced it has been a free school for the sons of burgesses. The general government of the school rests with the corporation, and that body appoints the master. The only endowment is a rent-charge of £10 per annum bequeathed by Dr. Metcalf and payable out of certain estates in Cambridgeshire. The master receives £70 annually from the corporation and a yearly gift of £20 from the two representatives of the borough, which, if not paid by them, is made up by the corporation : there is also a good dwelling-house for the master at a merely nominal rent.
The master besides receives a quarterly payment from each free scholar : the payment is at present 40 shillings per annum. For this sum freemen may send their sons to learn the classics and mathematics, but English grammar, writing and arithmetic, are not taught without an extra charge of about 40 shillings more ; and therefore few freemen avail themselves of the school. The number of pupils is ten freemen's sons, ten not sons of freemen, and twenty-four boarders. A library of 700 volumes, including many works of value, is attached to this school, which possesses, by the endowments of various benefactors, two fellowships, six scholarships, and three exhibitions to St. John's College, Cambridge." Source: "Beverley in 1835" , SDUK Penny Cyclopedia
The Old School House
|Parts of this building date from the reign of Charles II.|