Bubwith Board School, with school house attached, was opened in 1877. The Victorian school stands in Main Street, in the centre of the rural village of Bubwith, which is located 12 miles south-east of York. The design of the school is attributed to the Hull architect, Robert Clamp.
was a scholar at the school.
Transcribed excerpts of the School Log, 1877-1903, may be found in the attachment below.
The Headmaster at the time of the closure of the school was Mr. Robinson.
The school is now home to the multi-award winning off-licence/delicatessen, The Jug & Bottle.
Photographs of the building are featured on this page by kind permission of the owners, Louise and Doug. Do pay a visit to their website at: www.jugandbottle.co.uk or, better still, pop into their excellent shop next time you are in the area!!
The pictures below, showing old scenes of Bubwith, were kindly submitted by Chris Goodlad, who is researching the Turner family who lived in the village.
Robert Turner was a butcher and inn keeper. His wife was Ann Turner, 1833-1929.
The Turner family may have lived in this house. The photograph was probably taken around the 1920's.