From the ‘1864 White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory’ – Norfolk
Part of the Hospital buildings were used as the Parish Workhouse till 1837; and till that year an agreement existed between the Corporation and the Overseers of the Poor, that the latter should provide and dress all the victuals required for the hospital children and the nurse at the rate of 2s. 2d. per week. There are generally about 280 day scholars (180 boys and 100 girls), who are instructed in reading, writing, and arithmetic gratuitously. The boys are also taught navigation, drawing, geography & c. Any children of poor parents belonging to the town are admissible.
Mr J W Hewke – School Master
Miss Charlotte Goffin – School Mistress
‘GRAMMAR AND COMMERCIAL SCHOOL’ – originally established by the Corporation at the Reformation and existed for about 250 years, being maintained out of the funds of the Hospital of St.Mary, which had been granted to the Corporation in 1398, by Richard II, but remained in the possession of the monks till the dissolution of the monasteries. In 1797, the Corporation discontinued the payments to the master, and shortly afterwards the Children’s Hospital was established, and the funds of the Grammar School in the course of time were wrongly applied towards the maintenance and education of pauper children, and so continued till 1862, when, in consequence of an application made to the Court of Chancery by the trustees, (the majority of whom were of opinion that the funds ought to revert to their original purpose), a new scheme was sanctioned by which, whilst the Hospital School is still to be maintained in all its efficiency, the trustees are authorised to apply a portion of the Hospital funds in support of a Grammar School, open to all inhabitants of the town, and in which support a superior education may be obtained. In conformity with this scheme a temporary school room has been erected in Trafalgar road at a cost of about £650, in which English, French, German, Latin, History, Geography, Navigation, Writing, Drawing, Arithmetic, Bookkeeping, Algebra, Geometry, Mechanics, Surveying &c are taught. Each boy living in the town is admitted on payment of £6 per annum and boys from other places pay £10 each per annum. These sums are paid by half yearly instalments in advance, and no boy is admitted until he is eight years of age.
Rev. H J Evans M.A. - Headmaster
Mr Richard C Harding – Second Master – both are permitted to take boarders
Mr Henri Butel – French Master
Mr H Klein – German Master
‘CHARITY SCHOOLS’ – for clothing and educating 100 boys and 50 girls are supported chiefly by voluntary contributions, and were founded in 1713; but the present school rooms in Theatre plain were built 10 years afterwards on apiece of ground at the south east corner of the Market, given by the Corporation. The building was enlarged in 1785, and a dwelling house added for the Master and Mistress. Many worthy and useful members of society are indebted for their education to this well conducted institution, which is under the management of the minister of the parish, a treasurer, and 12 directors chosen by the yearly subscribers of 21s. and upwards. The annual subscriptions amount to about £45, and there is some property belonging to the school which swells its total yearly income to bout £250. The scholars are recommended by the subscribers, and are clothed every year at a cost of about 18s. each. The interest of £100, left by John Dawson in 1678, for teaching poor children arithmetic and mathematics, is paid by the Corporation.
‘THE PRIORY NATIONAL SCHOOL’ – occupies the site and part of the remains of the Benedictine Priory on the south side of St.Nicholas’ churchyard, and was opened in 1851. It is attended by 150 boys, 120 girls and 100 infants.
ST.PETERS NATIONAL SCHOOL’ – Deneside, was built in 1849, at a cost of £2000 and is attended by about 180 boys, 100 girls, and 130 infants. Attached to it is a good residence for the master who has the interest of £100 given in 1851 by the Rev Tully Crosthwaite, and invested in 3% consuls.
‘ST.JOHNS SCHOOL’ – York Road, is situated in Nelson Road, and was built by subscription in 1813, for 300 boys. The erection of the school, with the purchase of slates &c, cost £655. 12s 5d.
‘THE ROMAN CATHOLIC SCHOOL’ – behind the Church in Regent Road is attended by a considerable amount of boys and girls.
‘THE UNITARIAN SCHOOL’ – adjoins the chapel in Gaol Street, and is exclusively devoted to the instruction of girls.
‘THE PRIMITIVE METHODIST SCHOOL’ – for boys and girls is in Priory Place and was built in 1835 at a cost of £500.
‘THE GOVERNMENT SCHOOLS OF NAVIGATION AND DESIGN’ – which occupy a building on the Quay were established in 1857, through the exertions of the Rev J B Bampton and contain a good collection of casts, models, instruments, national flags &c.
‘THE SCHOOL OF NAVIGATION’ – is in connection with the Board of Trade and has day and evening classes both for boys and adults, in which all the theoretical parts of a sailors duty are thoroughly taught for small weekly fees.
Mr J R Jones – Master
‘THE SCHOOL OF ART’ – is in connection with the Committee of Council for Education and has day and evening classes for both boys and adults, and a special day class for ladies. Practical Geometry, designing, mechanical and architectural drawing, painting & c. are taught for small monthly fees payable in advance.
Mr Patrick B Brophy - Master