|Beverley Road Schools||Opened by the School Board in 1887 for boys (from Cave St), girls and infants. A junior block was added in 1908. Senior boys were withdrawn in 1953 to form Wilberforce High School. Other departments were reorganised as separate schools at the same time. The senior girls school became Stepney High School in 1964/5 and pupils were transferred to Sir Henry Cooper High School in 1967. Infants and juniors were re-organised as Stepney Primary School in 1969.|
|Blenkin Street School||Opened by the School Board in 1889 with Boys, Girls and Infants departments. The Girls department closed in 1907 with pupils transferred to Williamson Street Girls School. The infants department closed in 1907 and the Boys department in 1937.|
|Blundell Street Junior School||Opened by the School Board in 1878 for boys, girls and infants. Became a junior mixed school in 1944 and a primary school in 1969. Now closed.|
|School for Fishermen
|| 1818: A marine school, supported by the corporation of the Trinity House, out of its own funds, for educating and clothing 36 youths who, at a proper age, are put apprentice to the sea service. (Digest of Parochial returns, 1818, Vol. II)|
1833: A daily school ... 36 males, (who) are educated, clothed, and bound apprentice to the sea service at the expense of the corporation of the Trinity House. (Abstract of Education Returns: 1833)
Became the Boulevard Nautical School in 1920 and, after, Hull High School for Nautical Training. The school closed in 1974.
|Buckingham Primary School||The school was opened as a Board School for infants in 1881 in Brunswich Chapel Sunday School and had new premises in Brunswich Street in 1883. A junior department was added in 1894 which was mixed until 1922. From 1922 to 1935 there were two separate junior departments and no senior girls school. In 1935 Buckingham Street School became a junior mixed infant school with two separate senior departments. The Senior Girls’ Department merged with Mersey Street School in 1941 due t bomb damage and reopened in 1946. In 1964 the school was reorganised as a Juior and Infant School, closed in July 1988 as Buckingham Primary School to be reopened in September 1988 as a County Primary School.|
|Chiltern Street School||To the 1889 Board School for Boys, Girls and Infants was added a fourth department for Mixed Juniors in 1901. Senior Boys were transferred to Boulevard High School in 1957 and Senior Girls to Sydney High School in 1967. The Mixed Junior School closed in 1969, becoming Junior High School for girls only.|
|Clifton Primary School||Clifton Street opened in 1889 initially as a board school. It accommodated 250 boys, 252 girls and 276 infants. In 1950 the senior boys went on to form Charterhouse High School. The school thus became an all-age girls and infants department. In 1969 it was renamed Clifton Primary School. I January 1977 Fountain Road School merged with Clifton Primary.|
|Constable Street School||Built in 1879 by the School Board and enlarged in 1895, from when the Junior department dates. In 1957 the Senior Boys were transferred to Boulevard High School. From the Senior Girls and Juniors was formed the Junior High School (1969-78, girls only), with Infants and Nursery as a separate department.|
|Courtney Street School||Opened by the School Board in 1874 with boys, girls and infants departments, and closed in 1969. There was also a junior department, 1895-1941.|
|Craven Street High School||
A school was opened for all ages in 1893. In 1905 the infant and junior departments became separate schools, with the senior school later becoming Malet Lambert High School. Craven High was established in 1945 from the mixed senior department of Craven Street School which had been established in 1932, absorbing the senior pupils of Crowle Street School also in 1945.
|Craven Street Primary School||A school was opened for all ages in 1893. In 1905 the infant and junior departments became separate schools. The infants school became Craven Street Primary in 1969, and became a 5-11 primary school in 1988.|
|Free Grammar School||1818: A public free grammar school, under the patronage of the corporation of the mayor and burgesses of the town, containing at present from 45 to 55 boys, but the numbers vary considerably, there having been at one time nearly 100; the funds consist of £13.2s.6d per annum, paid by the receiver of the crown revenues; £6 per annum, the rent of a small tenement, the remains of an ancient building on the school premises, and a voluntary subscription of £63 per ann., by the mayor and burgesses, who allow also to the master a dwelling house and garden rent-free; besides which, he has the privilege of charging one guinea per annum to the sons of burgesses, for any advantages beyond grammar learning, and makes his own terms with persons who are not free. (Digest of Parochial Returns, 1818, Vol.II)|
1833: ... a "Grammar School" contains 50 males, and is partly supported by endowment and partly by payments from the children; the sons of burgesses pay one guinea per quarter, others (whether boarders or day scholars) are charged at the discretion of the master. (Abstract of Education Returns: 1833)
The school was located on South Church Side.
|The Vicar's School|| 1818: A school, founded in the year 1734, by the rev. W. Mason, vicar, and other individuals, and is called The Vicar's School, as the vicar for the time is the sole trustee; the school was rebuilt on a larger scale in 1792, and now contains 54 children, which is its full complement; the master's salary is £45 per annum, with a house rent-free, and 1s. per quarter from each boy; the funds arise from the interest of £600 in the hands of the corporation, viz. £400 left by the founders in 1734, and £200 accumulated since by the different vicars, and from a collection after an annual sermon. (Digest of Parochial Returns, 1818, Vol.II)|
1833: ... "the Vicar's School", contains 54 males, and is partly supported by the interest of a fund of £700 (arising from bequests and contributions), partly by a collection made after an annual sermon, and partly by payment of one shilling per quarter from each of the children. (Abstract of Education Returns: 1833)
|Cogan's School||1818: A school, founded and endowed by the late Mr. Alderman Cogan, for the clothing and instruction of 20 girls during three years, with rewards for such girls as, after leaving the school, behave well in service. The mistress's salary is £30 per ann. with a house. The funds arise from the rents of two houses, and money in the funds, under the management of three trustees. (Digest of Parochial Returns, 1818, Vol. II)|
1835: 40 females are educated and clothed; the expenses of the School are defrayed from funds given for that purpose by the late William Cogan, esq., alderman of Hull, and under the management of three turstees; the children enter the School about eleven years of age, and remain three years. (Abstract of Education Returns: 1833)
|Lancasterian School||1835: Contains 378 males and 131 females, and is partly supported by public contributions, and partly by payment of two-pence per week from each child; this school commenced in 1833, and also has a lending library attached. (Abstract of Education Returns: 1833)|
Photograph, taken in 1903, reproduced by kind permission of www.francisfrith.com.
|Built on the Spring Bank in 1887, from funds endowed by Dr. Hymers.|
|Truant and Industrial School for Boys||Built in 1856 in Marlborough Terrace.|
|Sunday Schools||1818: A Sunday school, supported by the Calvinists, containing 250 children. Two, by members of the Church of England, containing 312. One, by the Congregationalists, containing 300 Sunday, and 25 day scholars. (Digest of Parochial Returns, 1818, Vol. II)|
|Day Schools (non-Endowed)||1818: (Also) a day school, belonging to the Methodists, containing 10 boys and 14 girls; and one belonging to the Baptists, in which 12 of each are instructed, all of whom have articles of clothing allowed them as a reward for regularity of attendance, and good behaviour at the Sunday schools. (Digest of Parochial Returns, 1818, Vol. II)|