North Walsham National School and Board School
Plans for converting North Walsham Theatre to a National School were presented in 1845. The theatre had opened in Vicarage Street in 1828, on the site of a barn which had previously been used for theatrical productions. It was sold for £400 and the building served as the National School until the Board School opened in 1874 on Manor Road.
Population of North Walsham = 2035.
Endowed Schools: A free school founded for teaching 40 children of the inhabitants of the hundreds of North Erpingham, Tunstead, Happing, East and West Flegg, supported by a deed of grant made by Sir William Paston, of the rectory and church of Horsey, with the advowson of the vicarage, and 120 acres of land in Horsey, and 41 acres and one rood of excellent land in Walcot, both in the county of Norfolk, producing at present £335 a year, out of which the head master has a salary of £70 a year, and £30 additional for an usher; he has likewise a house and grounds: 12 guineas a year are also paid by the trustees to the vicar, for preaching a sermon, called the Paston Lecture, the last Thursday in every month. The minister is informed that for several years no free boys had been admitted on the foundation; it at present contains only 3, and the master takes about 50 boarders.
Other Institutions: A national Sunday school, on an extensive scale, for boys and girls. The girls are two days in the week taught needlework; besides several respectable boarding and day schools.
Observations: The poor are not without the means of education.