1743 Herring’s Visitations – “We have two English schools (not endowed) wherein the most, if not all the children in the parish are taught. Due care is taken to instruct them in the church catechism and to bring them to church.” No school recorded in 1764.
VCH: Roman Catholic school in 1615 and two unendowed schools in 1743. At enclosure in 1765 half an acre was awarded for the common rights of a cottage formerly used as a school house. About that date Sir George Montgomery Metham gave an adjoining half acre in Westgate on which the inhabitants built a schoolroom and master’s house, c.1770. All pupils paid until 1783, but later four were taught free of charge. Attendance was around 50 in 1819, when the master received £7 per annum form the land. Only took boys from 1832, when a separate girls’ school was opened. United with National Society in 1840. 40 pupils, mostly taught free. Schoolroom used as part of master’s house and school held in former Methodist chapel. Attendance in 1871, 41.
Girls’ school in Church St (opposite the church), built by Henry Burton in 1831 and opened next year. Attendance in 1833 was 45 – the school was supported by subscriptions and school pence. In 1840, 30 girls were taught, mostly free. The school was united with the National Society by 1851 when it had an income of £36. Received annual government grant from 1853-4. Enlarged in 1884. The oldest part with the biggest roof slates is the front two class-rooms. The porch was added later. During its extension in 1870 the school was without a roof at the start of the autumn term, Mrs Louisa Chisam ran it with an assistant mistress and two pupil teachers.
(A History of South Cave, by John George Hall, 1892)