Endowed Grammar School:
"The Endowed Grammar School, on West green, was originally connected with a guild in the parish church, called " the Society of Brethren of the Name of Jesus, the Blessed Virgin & St. Nicholas of Pocklington", the seal of which, together with an ancient silver cocking bell, belonging to the school, is still reserved. The guild was founded by John Dolman LL.D. archdeacon of Suffolk (one of a family who were for centuries lords of the manor of Pocklington), in the 6th year of Henry VIII. (24th May, 1514); & when Manchester, the Royal College of Science, South Kensington, or any other college 'or university approved by the County Council; 7, exhibitions established by the governors at any place of higher education, or of scientific or professional training.
The revenues of the school arise mainly from land situated in various parts of. the East Riding, & amount to about £1,000 a year. The Rev. T. Shields B.I); who became head master in 1807, succeeded in considerably augmenting the income of the school, & in 1818 commenced the rebuilding of the school & master's house, eventually completed in 1848 by the Rev. F. J. Gruggen M.A. : in 1875 the Endowed Schools Commissioners completely re-organized the management of the schools & transferred the patronage from St. John's College to a governing board of 12 members. Under the management of the late master, the Rev. Charles Gilrnour Wiikinson M.A. of Pembroke College, Cambridge, the school considerably increased in numbers. During 1890-91 a gymnasium, chemical laboratory, infirmary & other buildings have been erected, & there are now (1896) about 140 boys; head master, Rev. Charles Frederick Hutton M.A. of St. John’s College, Cambridge; .John Lambert Brown, D. T. Picton Davies, Robert Johnson M.A. T. Kirby B.A. C. B. McKee B.A. Edward Caldecot Marsh B.A. Percy M. Stewart B.A. & Leonard Victor Wright B.A, Assistant masters."(Kelly's Directory, 1897)
Utriusque iuris doctore
Impensis Frederici Jacobi Gruggen A.M.
Instaurata est A.D. MDCCCL
Avitae in municipes suos
Joannes Thomas Dolman M.D.
"The School of Pocklington, founded in A.D. 1514 by John Dolman, Doctor of both kinds of law, Archdeacon of Suffolk, was erected anew in A.D. 1850 at the expense of Frederick James Gruggen, Master of Arts. This humble memorial to his ancestor's munificence towards his fellow-townsmen was placed and established by John Thomas Dolman, M.D."
Adam Lockwood (pre-1551 - 1558?) Anthony Ellison (1558? - 1581) Robert Fawcett (1581 - 1598)
James Nelson (1598 - 1600) Martin Briggs (1600 - 1613) Richard Elcock (1613 - 1624)
James Sotheby (1624 - 1630) Robert Sedgwick (1630 - 1650) Edward Lluellin (1650 - 1657)
Rowland Greenwood (1657 - 1660) John Clarke (1660 - 1664) Thomas Ellison (1664 - 1693)
Thomas Dwyer (1693 - 1698) Miles Farrar (1698 - 1702) John Foulkes (1704 - 1709)
John Drake (1709 - 1714) Joseph Trebell (1714 - 1716) Christopher Lantrew (1716 - 1717)
John Baker (1717 - 1740) Robert Robinson (1740 - 1749) Edward Birckbeck (1749 - 1754)
Rev. Kingsman Baskett (1754 - 1807) Rev. Thomas Shield (1807 - 1848) Rev. Frederic James Gruggen (1848 - 1872)
Rev. Chas Gilmour Wilkinson (1872 - 1884) Rev. Herbert London (1884 - 1889) Rev. Charles F. Hutton (1889 - 1910)
George Haydn Keeton (1910 - 1914) Percy Cooper Sands (1914 - 1944) Robert St.John Pitts-Tucker (1945 - 1966)
Guy Longfield Willatt (1966 - 1980)
(List compiled from 'A History of Pocklington School, 1514-1980, by P.C. Sands, M.A., C.M. Haworth, M.A. and J.H. Eggleshaw, M.A.
Pocklington Grammar School took part in the first rugby match to be played in Pocklington, on 12th November 1879.
Further details about the match and about rugby in Pocklington may be found here: http://www.pocklingtonhistory.com/archives/people/sport/rugby/index.php